POOF! Go the Pisolithus

It’s the middle of November and I can’t remember the last time it rained. Ironically, I think it was last summer. Our normally dry summer had more rain than our normally less dry Autumn. In Northern California, our hills are still dead-grass brown. Normally I’d say the horizon is covered in a carpet of gold velvet. Yet this year, I’m a little disgruntled with the brown horizon caused by the lack of rain. I know, I know. I should appreciate every moment of our gloriously perfect blue sky.  And most days I do, honestly. However, this dry weather isn’t great when you’re looking for mushrooms.  And at the start of “mushroom season,” that’s a bummer.

pisolithus azhizus

The only mushroom I’ve found is Pisolithus arhizus, aka the dyer’s puffball, aka the mushroom that resembles dog poop, aka the mushroom that explodes like a bomb when your kid stomps on it.

This past weekend we took a family hike into the woods to look for mushrooms. (I look for mushrooms, the kids just  run with pointy sticks.)

Forest

As we hike through meadowland, on another perfect not-a-wisp-of-cloud-in-the-sky day, I watch my son stomp on something, followed by a big brown cloud.

Son: MOM! Look what happens when I stomp on this! (POOF)

Me: What are you…wait! Stop! That’s a mush–

Son: STOMP, STOMP, STOMP. (POOF POOF POOF)

Me: Stop Stomp– (POOF)

Me: That’s a mushroom I want! Don’t breathe in the brown stuff! Wait – Stop! I said STOP-  STOMP! (POOF!!!)

By the time I’ve reached him, to physically stop him, I see  a massive Pisolithus now squashed into a massive, powdery, brown, mess.

Me: Listen up kids – if you see that again – DON’T YOU DARE STOMP ON IT. That’s a dye mushroom. A DYE MUSHROOM.

Daughter: Don’t worry Mom, I saw another one on the trail.

Son: Yeah, but, um… Mom? I squashed that one, too. Did you know that mushrooms make awesome brown explosions?

2 thoughts on “POOF! Go the Pisolithus

    • I don’t think they’re poisonous. However – my dog almost died from eating a fungus. Therefore – I strongly recommend you do everything in your power to prevent your pet from eating ANY mushroom.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s